Originally uploaded by bunglist on 25th September 2009 13:16 pm
Garrysmod.com News: http://www.garrysmod.com/news/?p=5469
Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNbspl8huaI
Facepunch thread: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=819646
Release site with more images: http://area51.bunglist.com/
I took the idea for the basic layout from the "real" Area 51 in the Nevada desert using Google Maps (so secret it's on satellite view!) and from various websites dedicated to the base.
Intended as a sandbox build map with something for everybody and designed for long-term use on busy servers, after 6 months of development and many betas tested by Bunglist Build regulars (thanks guys!) we are ready to release this map to the public.
Now available for download now is a "Release Candidate" version, any problems discovered in this version will be fixed before the final release, which will be posted here when it is done.
If you want to see map now the latest version is up on our server, drop in and have a look around!
* Does not require any additional games - no need for HL2 Episode 1, Episode 2 or CounterStrike Source
* All textures and models are packed into the bsp with Pakrat - so no missing textures or models
* The whole map zipped is only 19 MB, unzipped only 49 MB (smaller file than hugeflatconstruct).
* Above-ground surface is maximum Hammer grid size
* All hangars and popular build zones are Area Portalled for reduced-lag building
* Teleporter network with central hub near the spawn point
* 3D skybox, maximum Hammer size and 16th scale
* Real-life terrain imported into Hammer from US Global Survey DEM satellite data
* Total ground area is approximately twice the size of flatgrass
* Optimized using every technique covered on the Source SDK developer wiki (compiles in about 10 minutes)
* High security Admin room
* Large open spaces for vehicles and large contraptions
* Huge sky - great f